2017 Texas Star Triathlon
Sunday, July 9th
300 YD SWIM, 10 MI BIKE, 3 MI RUN
We want to take this opportunity to welcome you to this USA Triathlon sanctioned event. You are racing under USAT Competitive Rules. In order to minimize misunderstandings on race day, we want to give you a list of great race practices. Remember to do the following:
- Ride on the right side of your lane.
- Keep three bike lengths between yourself and the cyclist in front of you.
- Pass on the left of the cyclist in front, never on the right.
- Complete your pass within 15 seconds.
- If passed, you must drop completely out of the zone, to the rear, before attempting to re-pass.
Remember you are racing in a USA Triathlon sanctioned event and there are USAT certified referees on the course to ensure fairness in the competition. There will be no warnings if you commit a foul during competition. At the end of the race, all citations by the marshals are reviewed by the Head Referee who then decides if a penalty should be assessed. The Head Referee’s ruling is final in the case of Position Violations and there are no protests or appeals of Position penalties.
Marshals commonly cite the following violations:
Position– riding on the left side of the lane without passing.
Blocking – left side riding and impeding the forward progress of another competitor
Illegal Pass – passing on the right.
Overtaken - failing to drop back three bike lengths before re-passing.
Drafting – following a leading cyclist closer than three bike lengths and failing to pass within 15 seconds.
Though Position Violations carry a time penalty for first offense, two citations will result in an additional penalty, and if you are cited for three violations, you will be disqualified. Be sure to check the penalty sheet before you leave the race site and have a chat with the Head Referee if you have any questions.
Make sure your helmet is a CPSC approved model. All helmets legally sold in the US are CPSC approved, but if you purchased your helmet in a different country it might be illegal for use in sanctioned events.
While on your bike, always have your chinstrap securely fastened - before, during and after the event! The chin strap rule is easy to follow, so don’t forget! The violation for this is a DQ!
Wear your race numbers, don’t leave your trash on the course, and don’t carry or use any portable audio devices. Remember to treat other athletes, volunteers, and officials with courtesy and consideration. Failure to do so is called Unsportsmanlike Conduct and you will be disqualified.
We all want to have a great experience. Race with pride and integrity. Have FUN!
Saturday, July 8, 2017
7 AM to 2 PM, Bring I.D.
Montgomery Aquatic Center
22628 Hwy 105 West
Montgomery, TX 77356
Every participant must pick up his/her race packet in order to participate in their race. All participants, no exceptions, must provide a government-issued ID that matches their registered name and appearance. Any state or government issued ID is acceptable. YOU MAY NOT PICK UP someone else’s packet! Volunteers handling packet pick-up do not have the power to override regulations, so please do not ask them to do so.
- Bring a valid photo ID (government-issued photo ID that matches the registered name).
- You may not pickup someone else’s packet (except participants 17 and under).
Those packets may be picked up by a parent or legal guardian. A photo ID will be required of parents who pick up packets for their children.
- You may not race under someone else’s name.
- Your USA Triathlon license - this is a USA Triathlon sanctioned race. Temporary, printed, or digital cards are accepted. Participants who signed up for a one-day license will not need to show a USA Triathlon license.
At Packet Pickup
1. Have your government issued ID and USA Triathlon card (for annual members) with you and ready to present.
2. Get your race envelope that will have run and bike bibs, and a race shirt.
3. Please confirm at this time that your age group and gender are correct and/or take the action listed below.
These items should be given to you at packet pickup:
- Run Bib: Your large number is to be worn on the run.
- Bike Race Number: Attach the bike number to the frame of your bike.
- Timing Chip
- Race Shirt * Please remember race shirt sizes cannot be switched at Packet Pick Up. Shirt included is the size requested when you registered.
- Safety Pins for run bib
PLEASE CHECK to make sure you have received all the items before leaving Packet Pick Up.
If any information is incorrect, please alert a volunteer so we can get it corrected before the race.
Sunday, July 9, 2017
7 AM, Fastest pool times first (lowest to highest bib numbers)
Montgomery High School Bear's Stadium
Montgomery Aquatic Center
22628 Hwy 105 West
Montgomery, TX 77356
Race day is finally here! What should I bring with me?
Everyone needs different things. As a general rule you want to bring all your required race items; especially your bib, bike with number, and helmet. Aside from that, we recommend bringing some water or pre-race drink. Something small to eat that won’t upset your stomach, a change of clothes for after and possibly some rain gear in case the weather gets bad. Also, bring a recovery drink and some food. We will have food there, but it’s a good idea to have something of your own to drink and eat just in case. We also suggest checking the weather ahead of time to know if you should dress up or down according to heat/cold. You may want to bring sunscreen, a hat/visor, sunglasses, and nutrition such as Gu Packets and Fuel Belts if needed.
Race Day Bike Check-in & TRANSITION:
As you enter the transition area you will be body-marked and helmet checked. Helmets must meet or exceed CPSC standards and handle bars will be checked for plugged end caps before you can proceed to your spot. These items will all be required to race!
- Race Day Transition area opens at 5:30 a.m.
- Only race participants will be allowed in the transition area.
- ARRIVE EARLY! The transition area will close at 6:45 a.m.
- Competitors are assigned bike racks according to your race number.
- The transition area will open for bike pick-up at or before 10:00 a.m. You will not be allowed back into the transition area to retrieve your bike and belongings until this time. Please plan appropriately.
Helmets: Helmets must be worn with a chin strap buckled at all times while on your bike. Also be sure that you have a helmet that contains a CSPC sticker on the inside. Not sure what that is? Ask your local bike shop.
*300 YD Swim
*15 Second Drop
*Fastest Swimmer First
*Start at High School
*U-turn at Spring Branch Rd
*End at High School
* 3 Miles
*Run around stadium and aquatic center
*Finish on the track